When you’re thinking about buying a home, chances are, one of the most important factors is space. From the garage to the kitchen to the bedroom, everyone is looking for more space throughout. And even if your home feels small, you can create the illusion of space simple by working with what you’ve got.
Here are the top 10 ways to make a room look more spacious:
1. Decluttering: This should be obvious, but in case it isn’t, you should be sure to declutter the room and clear out anything that isn’t being used. This is the first step to creating more space in a room.
2. Lighting: The lighting scheme in a room is key to creating an open feel and depends on the purpose of each room. For example, a chandelier might make a stunning focal point in a formal dining room, while track lighting can illuminate a fireplace in the family room.
3. Windows: To let in the maximum amount of natural light and therefore make the room appear brighter and more spacious, windows should be kept sparkling clean.
4. Mirrors: Use mirrors and other reflective surfaces to reflect the light coming into a room and create the illusion of more space.
5. Flooring: A great way to create more space is with seamless flooring from one room to the next. Another flooring trick: if you’re using tile, lay the tile on a diagonal for a more expansive feel.
6. Neutral colors: You should consider neutral tones when it comes to choosing both the paint color and the flooring. Try painting the ceiling a shade or two darker than the walls to give the room more height.
7. Monochromatic color scheme: Coordinating colors on the walls, floors and furniture will allow separate pieces in a room to blend together, while contrasting colors tend to break up a space.
8. Furniture arrangement: Simply by moving furniture to the outside of a room so that it isn’t blocking walkways, you can immediately create more space. Also, choose pieces that don’t take up the whole room. The more floor space you can see, the more spacious the room will seem.
9. Shelving: If you’re thinking about incorporating shelving into the room, make sure you install shelves that expand vertically instead of horizontally. This will draw your eyes toward the ceiling and expand the space.
10. Fabrics: When searching for window treatments, avoid heavy draperies and instead look for light, airy fabrics. The pattern of the fabric is also important, as anything too busy will detract from the open feel.