In spring, Florida’s weather continues to warm up as the residents prepare for the upcoming tourist season. Before summer arrives, the Fort Lauderdale/Deerfield/Miami area hosts an array of special activities specially designed for the permanent residents of this sunshine state! If you currently live in or are moving to this area, read up on some of the upcoming spring events to look forward to!
Festivals/ Specialty Events
- On April 4 and May 2, the Family Fest at Ziff Ballet Opera House will provide a hands-on festival geared toward getting kids interested in the performing arts! Numerous activities allow parents to interact with their kids while together creating puppets, singing songs, trying out dance movies, learning about other cultures and more!
- From April 8 through May 3, the award-winning Jersey Boys will perform at Broward Center for the Performing Arts. This Broadway performance shares the heart-warming story of how four blue-collar boys turned themselves into The Four Seasons before the ages of 30!
- From April 10 to April 12, enjoy South Florida’s largest Easter Egg Hunt Celebration at the Miami Seaquarium! Besides the daily activity of hunting for eggs, kids can also enjoy musical performances, face painting, bounce houses and more! The Easter Bunny will introduce costumed friends that include Flipper the dolphin, Lolita the killer whale and more! Every participant will receive a prize gift bag.
- On April 11 and 12, head to Flamingo Gardens to shop for the best orchids and bromeliads this spring! Fill your gardens with vibrant foliage while being offered the best prices and answers to your questions from expert growers! On these days, you can also meet the Easter Bunny and enjoy daily wildlife exhibits and shows.
- On April 18, plan to attend the New Times 12th Annual BEERFEST at Esplanade Park. You can sample 225 types of beer from around the world while enjoying performances from the area’s most popular local bands and tons of food options!
- On April 19, enjoy the 2009 South Beach Wine & Food Festival! Savor a brunch, sample a variety of seafood platters, drink an assortment of wines and champagnes and relish a gourmet dinner. All the while, live entertainment surrounds you!
- From May 6 to May 10, celebrate women around the world at the Aqua Girl! Celebrated in various locations, this festival provides musical performances, dance performances, comedy shows, jazz specials and tons more! All the proceeds benefit the Aqua Foundation for Women that promote equality, strength and health for all women!
- Spring signifies one significant meaning in sports… BASEBALL SEASON!
Score tickets now to see the Florida Marlins kick off their season! April 6 marks Dolphin Stadium’s opening day. Visit their website for tickets and information.
- Didn’t get to a Miami Heat basketball game this year? It’s not too late! Snatch a last-minute ticket to one of the final games of the year on April 7, 12 or 15!
- Not into professional sports? Create your own sports while taking advantage of your waterfront location by participating in water sports! Aloha Watersports offers you parasailing, wave runners, kit surfing and more!
- Full Moon Kayak allows you to enjoy quiet serenity on a two-hour kayak trip down a calm river surrounded by nature. Sea Experience Scuba Diving, Glassbottom & Snorkel Adventures offers exactly what their name describes! With one class, you can be ready to scuba dive that same day!
Upcoming concerts in the Fort Lauderdale/Deerfield area:
- Chicago at Hard Rock Live- Hollywood on April 7 Lady Gaga at Revolution on April 8 New Found Glory at Revolution on April 13 Fall Out Boy at Mizner Park Amphitheater on April 21 Bob the Builder Live at Parker Playhouse from April 24-26
Upcoming concerts in the Miami area:
- The Cleveland Orchestra at Knight Concert Hall from April 3-4 Beatlemania at Coral Springs Center for the Arts on April 4 Fight of The Conchords at BankUnited Center on April 7 Jazz Roots at Knight Concert Hall on April 18 Fleetwood Mac at BankAtlantic Center on April 23