Even if you’ve never moved before, you probably know it’s a lot of work. And with that work comes stress, which is about the last thing you need when your life is already in the midst of change and relocation. So, if you are planning a move, do yourself a favor and plan ahead to make the process as efficient and simple as possible!
1. Change your address – Notify the post office, the IRS and any applicable government agencies about your new location. Contact anyone who would need to send you bills, such as credit card companies, insurance providers and medical centers. Also, get in touch with utility and phone/cable/Internet providers to discontinue service at your old location and schedule it for your new one. To notify your friends, send out postcards or e-mails announcing your new location.
2. Hire good movers – Do some research to make sure you’re choosing a moving company you can count on, and you’ll have one less thing to worry about come moving day.
3. Measure – Know ahead of time how big doorways and entryways are, so you’ll know if your furniture can fit through.
4. Be organized – Label every single box you pack with the room it should go to (and possibly a certain color of tape or marker for each room), with a basic list of what’s inside and with your name and new address. This way, the movers will know where to put everything, and you’ll be able to find what you need.
5. Think about the first night – Pack an overnight bag of essentials that you’ll keep with you for your first night in your new home. In addition to toiletries, linens and a change of clothes, bring a few things that will make you feel at home—maybe a framed photo or a candle.