Retirement. The very word conjures up images of sunshine and golf courses and backyard lanais. But is that what today’s retired population is looking for?
According to a recent article in the news-press.com, a National Association of Home Builders survey revealed that today’s 55-plus crowd has a new set of preferences, and they’re not what you’d think.
WHAT THEY WANT:
- In-unit washer/dryer sets
- Lots of storage space
- An entrance without steps
- Private patios and/or porches
- Main-level master bedrooms
- Bigger bathrooms
- Convenience features: user-friendly thermostats, garage door openers, easily opening windows, wide doorways, nonslip flooring
WHAT’S LESS IMPORTANT
- Kitchen islands
- Workout rooms
The article also says golf courses are out (in favor of walkways and green areas) and high-tech items, while appealing to younger buyers, usually aren’t important to the recently retired.
To read the rest of this article, “Preferences Changing for Dream Retirement Home,” click here.