It almost goes without saying that your home will show better when you get rid of the extra clutter. The question is: what do you do with all the things that you don’t want to get rid of but are taking up too much space? If you don’t have enough space to store stuff in your home itself, consider renting space from a storage facility while your property is up for sale.
Here are some questions to ask before renting a storage unit:
- How much space will you need?
- How much it will cost?
- How secure is the facility?
- What hours of the day is it accessible?
- Is the location convenient?
- Is there enough space for parking?
- How far is your vehicle from the unit?
Get quotes from several storage companies in order to determine the best deal. You could even cut back on expenses by hiring a moving company that also provides storage services. Many movers now offer these services in order to make the moving process easier for homeowners. Once you find the perfect storage unit, you’ll want to keep it organized. Here are a few tips for packing your storage unit correctly:
- Rent a smaller unit and use every inch of space. It’s better to use up all the space that you have than to pay for space you’re not using.
- Even if the unit is jam-packed, you still need to be able to get in and out easily. Be sure to leave walkways so you can make your way around boxes easily.
- You can fit more stuff in your storage unit by using boxes and containers of the same size and shape.
- Fill boxes to the top to keep them from collapsing.
- Keep valuable items hidden in the back where they won’t be easy to find.
Now that you have some helpful hints, hopefully you’ll see that storing while selling is no hassle at all!