Summers in Fort Lauderdale, Deerfield Beach and Miami: there is nothing like them! Enjoy warm sunshine, bright blue skies, crystal clear waters, people out and about all over town! Whether they are roaming around festivals, eating delicious foods or jamming to some tunes, people near the Atlantic oceanfront have an endless amount of ways to fill their summer days and nights!
• SUMMER EVENTS near the Atlantic Coast of Florida attract many visitors from around the globe. Here are some of the best events taking place this July and August:
- Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival Presents: The 8th Annual French Film Festival
Take a trip to France without leaving the continental United States. During the weekend of July 30, enjoy 12 French films from the comfort of the stadium-style seating in the Cinema Paradiso. The movies range from historical dramas to light-hearted comedies. Adult tickets to see the films only cost $10; there are also discount prices for seniors and students, as well. Tickets for the Opening Night Party and the Wrap Party on the final night (August 2) are on sale for both FLIFF members and non-members. For more info, visit FLIFF.com.
- Floatin’ Family Movie Nights in Deerfield Beach
If you like movies and you enjoy swimming, this monthly event combines both activities for you and the whole family. Floatin’ Family Movie Nights take place at the Deerfield Beach Aquatic Center the last Friday of each month. On July 31 and August 28, get the family together, grab a raft/float chair and head to the center before dark. Concessions are available and the movie begins after sunset. The cost is $2 per person. Fore more info, contact 954-420-2263.
- Miami Spa Month
During the entire month of July, the Greater Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau organizes an entire month of discounted spa treatments. Many of the luxury spas in the area have been voted the best in the country. During Miami Spa Month, residents and visitors alike will be able to enjoy $99 treatments at several of the city’s premier facilities. For a complete list of the participating spas, visit MiamiSpaMonth.com.
• MIAMI SPORTING EVENTS kick it into high gear as the summer continues on through July and August.
- Since their foundation in 1993, the Florida Marlins MLB team has won two World Series Championships (1997 and 2003). The team shares a home with the Miami Dolphins NFL team at LandShark Stadium. Some of the best games to check out would be those against their division rivals: the Philadelphia Phillies in mid-July and the New York Mets in late August. To find tickets, visit the Marlins website or Ticketmaster.com.
• CONCERTS abound in the summertime! Lots of people take some time off to enjoy the musical stylings of the following artists:
- Progressive Nation 2009 featuring Dream Theater, July 24, Jackie Gleason Theater in Miami Beach
- American Idols Live! Tour 2009, July 29, BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise
- Emery, August 6, Culture Room in Fort Lauderdale
- Crosby, Stills and Nash, August 20, Hard Rock Live in Hollywood
- O.A.R., August 28, Pompano Beach Amphitheatre in Pompano Beach
For other acts, as well as scheduling and ticket info, visit Ticketmaster.com.